[CF-Devel] Large forest in big world.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Nov 12 08:43:51 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:45:05PM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      H. S. Teoh wrote:

      >[BTW, no need to Cc: me on replies, I'm subscribed to both -devel and

      >The current Great Swamp maps also have a lot of monsters in the outdoor

      >map, although they are restricted to the Inner Swamp. There are also a few

      >monsters in the Outer Swamp, but not very many. I guess my question was

      >whether it's appropriate to use up such a big area (the inner swamp covers

      >almost an entire 50x50 map file) just for a single quest.

       That seems a bit big to place on the world maps.

Actually, the quest maps themselves don't have to be that big; it's just
that I was using the geographical features created by the script. I can
certainly move the quest into submaps and leave more room for other
quests.

One concern then is that currently, the Inner Swamp is almost completely
disconnected from the Outer Swamp; I guess that's OK as long as I provide
a general access route to it?

[snip]

       Well, that's one concern - if large quest maps are placed directly on the

      world maps, that can really start to use up space (one may say that for the

      most part, the world is empty, so what's the big deal.  But there are

      certainly limited areas of terrains of specific type).  So such a big map

      could basically use up a large portion of the swamp, such that if someone

      wanted to do another swamp located adventure, not a lot of space left (or

      they basically end up being right next to each other.

     [snip]

OK, I think I'll move the quest into submaps and leave most of the swamp
open for future development. Should I leave the Inner Swamp the way it is,
or should I make more connections to it? One idea is to leave it as it is,
and put the more dangerous monsters inside, so that they are less likely
to wander off the swamp and cause havoc elsewhere. I can even block it off
completely and have the entrance as a submap with a warning sign.

Caffeine underflow. Brain dumped.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com