[CF-Devel] New Crossfire commands patch.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Nov 26 13:01:18 CST 2003

On Wed November 26 2003 10:18 am, Preston Crow wrote:

      I tend to agree that some functionality along those lines would be best

      in the server, but I think you took it too far.  Multiple commands with

      the same purpose?  Actually, all I would like to see in the server is an

      "apply_below" command, which would work exactly like the "apply"

      command, only it would consider objects that you are on top of instead

      of in your inventory.  (Well, and perhaps an "apply_container" command

      to apply something in an open container.)

Darn, I always take things too far.

The commands don't have exactly the same purpose,  you can't "pull" on a food
item and expect to "eat" it.  I bound a key to the "go" command, and I use it
on exits (I haven't eaten a corpse since :) ).   Also "wear, wield, unwear,
unwield" are kind of nice since they they check the item ready state with -no
-shell -like -flags.

As far as the "apply_below" command, why do we need a new command for this?
Just have the normal "apply" commands check below the player or in the
current open container.  The inventory would be checked first, and thus items
from there would be applied first.  I was thinking of trying this in the new
commands.

      A few commands have options like Unix command-line flags, so it could be

      done with flags on the normal apply command, but my instinct is that

      separate commands are less confusing.

I don't think -flags or _'s are apropriate for a game.  The crossfire command
interface should be more natural language like, thus the new commands.  Is it
more nature to say "open sack", or "apply sack"?

      Of course, if you really want to do it in the client, you could write a

      script with my new scripting interface.  :)

      --PC

Maybe the new commands would be helpful in the scripting interface??

Thanks
Adam Ashenfelter

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com