[CF-Devel] New Crossfire commands patch.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Nov 26 09:18:45 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 18:48, Adam Ashenfelter wrote:

      I'm unsure how to implement this in the client.  Most of the client commands

      seem to be things like save window positions, and bind.  Also, the client

      doesn't seem to have a function along the lines of "find_best_match".  All

      the proper functions to do this stuff is already in the server, so it seemed

      a little difficult/wasteful to do it in the client.  Besides, it was simpler

      to do it in the server, thats probably why I figured out how to do it.

I tend to agree that some functionality along those lines would be best
in the server, but I think you took it too far.  Multiple commands with
the same purpose?  Actually, all I would like to see in the server is an
"apply_below" command, which would work exactly like the "apply"
command, only it would consider objects that you are on top of instead
of in your inventory.  (Well, and perhaps an "apply_container" command
to apply something in an open container.)

A few commands have options like Unix command-line flags, so it could be
done with flags on the normal apply command, but my instinct is that
separate commands are less confusing.

Of course, if you really want to do it in the client, you could write a
script with my new scripting interface.  :)

--PC

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com