[CF-Devel] A few glitches

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Nov 30 03:03:38 CST 2003

       Well, I just tried this out, and all seemed to work ok.

       I had made some changes to the summoning runes a little while back -

      possible that I hadn't updated that server.  But the bomb stuff seems to

      be unchanged, yet I made a simple test map, put a chest there with a

      rune of create bomb in it, and sure enough, if I opened it, the bomb was

      created.

I'll check bombs go off correctly next time i find a create bomb trap :)

       That is correct, and intentional.

       Since we currently only allow scrolls to be written (not spellbooks),

      this isn't that abusive.

Hum, one could write a whole lot of scrolls, and that may give too many
advantages to players... You could have scrolls of every special god's spell,
some being pretty useful. Gaea's nightfall, for instance, you need many all
right, but it's too easy, with let's say 10 per level, to destroy any level.
Granted, that's a high level spell, so it'd take a while to write'em :)

       But the reason is more that it is much more difficult with the new

      spell code to tell if a spell is a special spell or not.  In the old

      code, spells were just a table, and so very easy to tell the properties

      of a given spell (Eg, spell 56 may be cleric, and not normally found in

      scrolls, so disallow).

       The only way to really try and do that now days would be to traverse

      the treasurelists for the scroll and see if the spell in question shows

      up anyplace - if not, must be a special spell.

       OR alternatively, a flag could be used, like 'not_inscribable', and add

      that to the archs.

Couldn't we use some unused field in the arthetype? Like 'weight', which
probably isn't used for spells themselves?

       But the question I guess really, is do people see this as being much an

      issue?  I personally thought it may add some more player interaction

      (players trading scrolls back and forth for spells they normally could

      not get).

True, could be fun, one could make a whole lot of money :)

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com