[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Wed Oct 1 18:10:49 CDT 2003

I dunno if this effort has a poin or not but I think I can loose nothing,
so I try.
I want to speek to the developers.
I honor the work of every devs, they are to the metalforge cf server as
parents to the child, but as one who's part of it I feel I have to tell:
metalforge seems to be dieing. It used to have really good measure of
players logged in, it had it's regular visitors - veterans and newbies as
well. Now - almost nothing. Like a home-made server, almost nobody.
I don't know how devs feel about us, players or about the server itself,
but as for me it looks like they don't even think about it. (And tell me,
what's more important: The word of the parent who says he loves his child;
or the childs word who says he _feels_ his parent doesn't love him.)
Yes, I know that devs work is not an easy one, and such players (aka like
me) should shut his mouth instead - in most devs opinion. But consider
this as a feedback.
Currently the server is almost unusable. No client connecting to it works
properly. Some high-lvl chars meets the problem having too much xp (above
2,1billion) in a skill which the server considers lvl 1. (I have heard
that even lower lvl skills are considered to be lvl 1 as well.)
Why don't you apply your updates on an experimental server (meaning -
unreachable by regular players)? Why don't you apply only stable updates
on metalforge?
I have heard about the new skill system as well. I don't know if you are
intend to test before applying it, but I want to share some of my opinions
about it.
Splitting the 6 main skills into 40 separated ones has some problems. It's
too early. Now, CF is almost no more than a hack-and-slash RPG. You have very
few opportunity to get xp by other than killing. And it's indeed true at
high lvl, for getting considerable xp (>100.000) is almost impossible
without killing. And there are limits you cannot exceed. You can excercise
your literacy by reaidng books ( and, that is, _spell_ books), but you'll
stop at about lvl 20 - after you've read all possible magic books
succesfully. Making skills _without_ the proper opportunity to _raise_
those skills is impetuous, the almost biggest mistake one can commit about
such online mud-like games. Having lotsa skills may seem good, but first
you should have a system that espouses it. I have heard the argue that
this is for the sake of the possibility to make new skills and spells. Why
to do that? Is it worth to force all players to start over again from
scratch?
And it's not even necessery! You could group the new-made separated skills
and ensure that whenever a skill gets xp, all of it's group-related ones
get the same amount. The overall xp would be too much this way? Just
divide the aquired overall xp with the number of the members of the given
skill-group. And what we would have there? The same as it is currently;
completely compatible with the current system, still serving your
purposes. And this way even player files would be possible to adopt.
I hear of many good ideas of updates. It's really great. Here's this
sleeping idea. I like it, I really do. But still it makes me sad. It's
like a mother giving her daughter a really big teddy bear for 100$, while
all the little girl wants is a little bunny. The mother just doesn't ask
her.
I think the changes should serve the goal of yours' - which I do not know
what would be. But I hope, it's to make a really good server that provides
players lot's of fun.
So a change should consider one thing first: Would it's application make
the server more joyable, more fun? (Like big world maps, the idea seems to
be good at first sight, but without a good background, it would be only
an emty shell that would make only difficoulties, like making travels too
long and boring, and making players to get lost in the wilderness and
confused about quest areas.)
I know it may look bullshit - but as you created this server and made us
able to play on it, so become you have resposible to the server, and to
us, players as well. You can abandon us of course, you have the right.
I just ask you - in the name of the most of us - please, don't do it!

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com