[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Thu Oct 2 06:20:23 CDT 2003

I think that one of the biggest problems with CF development is
that there are many people developing new features,
while almost nobody cares about fleshing out these features and
providing actual game-*content*.
Adding to this, there is hardly any control what gets committed.
Some developers even decided to stop announcing new features
to the mailing list because they don't like to hear criticism.
This is bad, and this is something more people should consider.

OTOH, I have to admit that sometimes it is hard to keep
our CVS totally "stable" and "clean".
The new skill system for example is in my opinion the most
promising and reasonable improvement for a long time.
And yes, it does brake a lot of things - and I'm truely sorry
for that. Though if Mark wouldn't have committed it to CVS,
how should we really test it, improve it, and create content
for it (maps/arches)?
Changes like this should not happen often, and they should be
justified. When it happens however, the server administrators
are free to keep their servers unchanged (not updated) till
most of the dust cleared and there is a "stable" cvs again.

The skill system in particular also didn't hit CVS by
surprise. It was discussed and announced a long time ago,
even repeatedly announced. CVS was tagged right before the
checkin so that everyone can easily get the last version
without the new skill stuff.

Your agrument about skills lacking ways to advance is
valid, but it doesn't justify keeping the old system.
The old skill system was practically impossible to
balance because all skills were tied to each other.
Now we have a much better system, but we need time
to integrate it fully into the maps.
Apart from that, is there really an urgent need to
be able to max out skills like literacy, hiding and
the likes? I doubt there is.

So after all, please bear with us. I know the recent
changes hurt, but we will try to form the new skill
system into something that is more enjoyable than
the old one. It may take time, but I am confident that
it will happen.

AndreasV

Jetzt kostenlos anmelden unter

     http://www.gmx.net