[CF-Devel] Floors / walls and archetypes

Thu Oct 2 01:01:11 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Isn't dropping harder to implement than mere apply?

      Also, I'd prefer having to face where you wanna build/destroy rather

      than stand on top. After all you build a wall not under yourself, but in

      front of you :) And avoids the 'can't stand on wall to destroy' problem.

  Dropping isn't really harder than applying.  Both are relatively simple.

  The idea to key on direction the player is facing seems like a bad idea IMO.
Using fire directions or something might be OK, but relying on direction the
player is facing just seems like it will be very error prone (I was facing that
way?  I thought I was facing another way, etc).

      Again depends. I'd think it more fun if we can start from either map.

      Makes subterrean buildable holes more realistic, and lets build on the

      ground.

      (my current code usse facing direction for building, btw)

      But some things, like changing floor archetype, could be done on the

      standing square (ie you put pavement where you are, not on the square

      you look at).

  Well, here I disagree.

  I don't mind allowing some building code for people to customize
apartments/guilds.

  If you want to build a dungeon, use the map editor.  There is no way a build
in game editor can ever really do more than some minor things (or more to the
point, I don't want the complexity of all that in the server code for something
of dubious usefulness).

  So it should really be designed for what is will be used for, which should be
apartment/guild customization, and not the ability to build any possible map.
So not being able to easily build dungeons isn't a big deal for me.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com