[CF-Devel] Idea: Resting

Thu Oct 2 01:25:52 CDT 2003

I certainly don't want this to be overly complicated.

  sleep and rest are basically equivalant - sleep is just a more extreme form.

  One could certainly extend the 'rest' object to incur ac penalties and armor
(or other resist) penalties/benefits (sleeping bag helps a little against cold?)

  Delay or stat loss on wakeup seems like extra complication.  If you're getting
woken up by being damaged, you're already at a disadvantage by having been hit
already (lets face if, if you've been woken up by a fireball, you could be in
some serious trouble).

  Presumably, all forms of rest require some piece of furniture, so you can
never really rest while standing.

  Let's also look at the fact that paralyzed players (and monsters) don't loose
a whole bunch of AC or armor or whatever else.

  As for what commands  break resting: All of them - I certainly don't want to
try and figure out what commands you should issue while resting and not
(certianly, movement shouldn't be allowed, and things like like chatting are
questionable.  One can argue that things like 'who' or 'maps', which are really
administrative commands, shouldn't change your rest status.  But analyzing all
the commands adds even more complication.  Plus, my personal thought behind the
idea of rest is that if you don't really have anything better to do while
regaining your hp/sp/grace, you rest.  If you have better things to do, go and
do it, and not bother about resting.

  One could take this and make it a very complicated thing (we'll, if you've
rested within X time frame, you shouldn't get as much benefit, if you haven't
rested in Y, you should incur other penalties, etc).  But the game is not a
reality simulation - it's meant for fun.  I think most all players would agree
that it would be annoying if you had to have your characters actually sleep so
many hours per game day, which basically means that you basically have to stop
playing the character for some time or something.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com