[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Fri Oct 3 00:19:26 CDT 2003

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I think that one of the biggest problems with CF development is

      that there are many people developing new features,

      while almost nobody cares about fleshing out these features and

      providing actual game-*content*.

  Add to that, also include fixing bugs in what most developers are not doing.

      Adding to this, there is hardly any control what gets committed.

      Some developers even decided to stop announcing new features

      to the mailing list because they don't like to hear criticism.

      This is bad, and this is something more people should consider.

  Yes, this is a problem.  I've considers locking CVS access so that only I can
commit changes to the server.

  I'd note that 90% of the commits are just fine.  It is the other 10% that are
a problem.

  I'm particularly annoyed about this because I'm basically the only one that
goes and fixes the bug, so when people check in questionable code, it comes to
me to fix it.

  Some of the problem is that everyone is a volunteer, so it only makes sense
that people want to work on those cool new features and not spend down time
tracking down and fixing bugs.

  One solution could perhaps be something like 'want to put a new feature in?
Need to fix one of the outstanding bugs' or soemthing.  But I'd hate to have to
enforce such a notion.

  I'd also like to see more maps.  I don't know why more people aren't making
them - that seems like one of the more noticable features that players would
notice, eg, most everyone would see your maps.  Good maps probably get more
acclaim than most any code feature.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com