[CF-Devel] player speed idea.

Fri Oct 3 01:54:33 CDT 2003

  This is an old topic I'm just raising again.

  The general idea is to smooth out the player movement speed, and also don't
make them move quite as fast.

  A normal players movement speed would be from say 0.25 to 0.75 (these numbers
just seem reasonable, but could be adjusted).  If the character was carrying
next to nothing, they'd move at 0.75, fully loaded they'd move at 0.25.  Half
loaded they move at 0.5.

  Things like strength and dex would not effect player speed directly.  Strength
indirectly effects it in that a strong character can carry more.  Thus, a really
strongh character may be half loaded at 1000 kg, where a weak character would be
fully loaded with that gear.

  Note that this change is only for movement speed, not for weapon speed. Weapon
speed is addressed below, but is not directly tied to this portion of the idea.

  The max armor speed for penalty would play as it does now.  If the max speed
for that armor is 0.5, then if after adjusting for your equipment, you're moving
faster than 0.5, your speed is reduced to 0.5

  My thought for items that give bonus speed is that they just add on to your
speed (eg, something with bonus speed 0.2 would just add .2 to your speed after
all adjustements).

  Alternative would be that bonus speed adjusts your 'max' speed, but not your
min.  Thus, if you have a bonus speed of 0.25, your max speed is now 1.0, min
speed is still 0.25.  If you're fully loaded, you still move at 0.25.  But if
your half loaded, you now move at 0.62 instead of 0.5.

  As part of this, hopefully clean that up - right now 'exp' is used in most
objects to denote bonus speed - this doesn't provide very fine resolution
(tenths of ticks), but is also confusion.  Just add a 'bonus_speed' field to the
object, and make it a float.

  Rationale for these changes:  Crossfire is not well designed for players
moving above speed 1.0, and this can easily happen now days.  Also, fully loaded
characters, even with a min speed of 0.1, can seem intolerably slow.  The idea
is that min speed won't be quite so slow, so even moving in those cases is an ok
clip.  But also fix the problem of fast players easily outrunning lightning
bolts and arrows and whatnot.

  I'd note if the problem is perceived issue of player perceiving movement too
slow, I'd still rather speed get reduced, but then reduce the time of each tick.
  EG, half player speed, half the tick time, and things appear about the same,
but easier to make movement somewhat sane (making objects move faster than 1.0
would not really work right, as objects would appear to jump and skip spaces and
whatnot).

-------------
Weapon speed:

Change calculation for weapon speed, and perhaps put a cap on of about 2.0. Make
weapon speed based less on the characters str/dex/weapon weight, and more on
skill level in weapon.  Weapons would have a base weapon speed which then
determines how much harder it improves it (eg, a maul may have a base
weapon_speed of 0.5, while a mallet has one of 1.0).  Not sure how I'd do the
increase in speed - a simplistic approach of something like 10th level means the
speed is now 0.6/1.1 respectively, or something else.  Have things like magic
have much less impact on the improvement of the speed, or maybe none at all.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com