[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Tue Oct 7 21:04:43 CDT 2003

I'm not one to complain, but since the subject was brought up ...

 --- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        I'm particularly annoyed about this because I'm basically the only one

      that  goes and fixes the bug, so when people check in questionable code,

      it comes to me to fix it.

        Some of the problem is that everyone is a volunteer, so it only makes

      sense that people want to work on those cool new features and not spend

      down time tracking down and fixing bugs.

        One solution could perhaps be something like 'want to put a new feature

      in?  Need to fix one of the outstanding bugs' or soemthing.  But I'd hate

      to have to enforce such a notion.

        I'd also like to see more maps.  I don't know why more people aren't

      making them - that seems like one of the more noticable features that

      players would notice, eg, most everyone would see your maps.  Good maps

      probably get more acclaim than most any code feature.

I have been discouraged by a lack of response to the bug fixes I have
posted to the list, and the lack of help for getting around my CVS
problems.

Sourceforge limits CVS access to people that have no account so that I
cannot get a CVS download most of the time.  The alternate daily snapshot
site seems to have gone away.  I have asked that read only access be
granted to me but with no response.  Yet, I am informed that it is best if
I make my changes to the most recent CVS version.

My first patch post was a collection of bug fixes and new features.   The
few times I have managed to download recent CVS copies, I have seen very
little sign of my bug fixes, but a small sign of my features being
commited.  In fact, one of my bug fixes was in two parts, only the first
part got applied, and I suspect it is because someone else came up with the
same bug fix, except they only half fixed it.

My second was a set of maps and python scripts.  A lot of good discussion
was generated around that, and I know what needs to be fixed.  However,
even though the list seemed to agree that my large forest was a good idea,
and I had provided a script to make the changes, AND the changes didn't
actually interfere with the new ring of mountains, I have not seen any sign
of a any of it being committed.

Oops, I'm getting kicked off the net any second now.  A quick summary,
please give me at least read access to the CVS, and you will see more of
what you ask for out of me.

     http://search.yahoo.com.au

      - Yahoo! Search

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com