[CF-Devel] Forgotten child

Tue Oct 7 23:33:12 CDT 2003

David Seikel wrote:

      Sourceforge limits CVS access to people that have no account so that I

      cannot get a CVS download most of the time.  The alternate daily snapshot

      site seems to have gone away.  I have asked that read only access be

      granted to me but with no response.  Yet, I am informed that it is best if

      I make my changes to the most recent CVS version.

  I received a mail recently by sourceforge admins saying that the anon cvs
problems will be fixed soon - they are adding a bunch of hardware to tackle the
problem.

  I don't remember seeing a request about read only access (but could have
forgotten).  However, the model of access the sourceforge uses doesn't really
allow that to simply be done (they use hybrid cvs software, and different method
to control authentication).  So to grant an account read-only access requires
much more extensive work with sourceforge than if the site was using a straight
version of CVS.

      My first patch post was a collection of bug fixes and new features.   The

      few times I have managed to download recent CVS copies, I have seen very

      little sign of my bug fixes, but a small sign of my features being

      commited.  In fact, one of my bug fixes was in two parts, only the first

      part got applied, and I suspect it is because someone else came up with the

      same bug fix, except they only half fixed it.

  Well, I've recently (in the past few days) applied some of your fixes.

  Some of them I didn't take, because the code they modified had already been
radically changed (skill stuff for example).

  Normally, patches get applied reasonably quickly.  But when working on the
skill and spell stuff, I realized that if I was spending a lot of time dealing
with such patches and other changes - time that I really didn't have if I ever
wanted to finish that other code.  So I just tucked away those patches to review
later, which I'm doing to some extent now.

  I can't really comment on partially applied patches.  I'm speaking generally
here, and not about your patches in particular, but in some cases, patches are
submitted which fix the bug on the patchee's system, but isn't a good general
fix.  which leaves it to the person applying to patche to make it more general.

  Or in other cases, it seems like in parallel, someone else already fixed the
problem.  It's often that in such cases one looks and says 'looks like that is
fixed, I'll ignore that bit'.

      My second was a set of maps and python scripts.  A lot of good discussion

      was generated around that, and I know what needs to be fixed.  However,

      even though the list seemed to agree that my large forest was a good idea,

      and I had provided a script to make the changes, AND the changes didn't

      actually interfere with the new ring of mountains, I have not seen any sign

      of a any of it being committed.

  I've generally left most of the map dealing with other people.

  In any case, I'd need to know your sourceforge account name before I can give
you CVS access.  As said above, it would be read/write access, but I'll trust
you don't do anything bad - of the patches I've seen you do, they all seem fine,
and if you do do something bad, I can always undo it.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com