[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Tue Oct 7 23:16:19 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      Been playing on Metalforge's test server, crossfire.metalforge.net

      Pretty nice, new skill system seems to work fine.

      Small suggestion: for skills that can't have experience, like meditation

      or levitation, don't show experience, since not applicable :)

  Well, doing that is a little bit of work to do.

  My personally thought is that all skills should have the potential to gain
exp/levels in.  Whether this is special quest rewards or just each time you use
the skill (eg, meditate and get 5 exp in meditation).

  In tha later case, that exp should not contribute to your overall level.
Thus, someone could start a character and meditate for 3 days straight and be
level 30 in meditation, but still only a level 1 character.

  Arguably, all skills that incur no risk should perhaps not contribute anything
to your overall exp (skills I can think of in this category are search,
literacy, item identification skills, climbing, etc).

  Now one may ask what is the purpose of having a level in meditation:  I could
certainly see something that higher level means it takes less time or you get
back more each time you meditate.

  Likewise, one could have something for levitation that you can only levitate
for so long, before you need to rest.  Higher levitation skill means you can
levitate for longer or need less rest between attempts.

  If a player decides to log in and have there character meditate for 3 days,
that's up to them.  doesn't increase their overall exp, and is probalby no worse
than some other abuses (set character up near a generator and have the character
cast some spell periodically (eg, think of a level 10 character near an orc
generate.  Every 5 seconds or something it casts burning hands centered on
himself.  After a night of that, even at 10 exp/orc or whatever, you'd end up
with a tidy amount of exp).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com