[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Wed Oct 8 02:57:59 CDT 2003

       My personally thought is that all skills should have the potential to

      gain exp/levels in.  Whether this is special quest rewards or just each

      time you use the skill (eg, meditate and get 5 exp in meditation).

Hum yeah, didn't see it that way, but sounds nice :)

       In tha later case, that exp should not contribute to your overall

      level. Thus, someone could start a character and meditate for 3 days

      straight and be level 30 in meditation, but still only a level 1 character.

       Arguably, all skills that incur no risk should perhaps not contribute

      anything to your overall exp (skills I can think of in this category are

      search, literacy, item identification skills, climbing, etc).

That's the hardest point to decide, I think: what is overall experience?
How do you define it in relation with other skills?
For instance: using alchemy incurs some risk, so should contribute to
overall experience.
But reading a scroll (non-spell one) forces you to read, thus gives some
reading experience, which could arguably contribute to overall experience.

Maybe I'm about to propose something bad or hard to implement, but well...
I'd suggest some intermediary levels.
For instance, a level related to physical resistance, which would go up
with fighting (clawing, melee, missile, ...) skills. Hit points would
depend on that particular skill's experience.
Arguably there could be a magic overall level, combining pyromancy,
evoker, ..., and influencing spell points.
And a global level, which would just be a prestige one, not deciding for
hit points.

So a character could be level 50 magic but have only low hit points
(after all we all know magicians are weak physically :)), or 50 phys &
many hitpoints.
That would solve the issue of levitation / meditation / literacy not
mattering for hitpoints (or other things) while retaining some fame for
having high levels.

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com