[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Wed Oct 8 09:42:50 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      > Both alchemy and literacy do not incur the risk to die,

      > hence they should not contibute IMO.

      Err, alchemy IS dangerous :)

      Take a level 5 char, put 10+ ingredients in a cauldron, use

      the alchemy skill, you'll be lucky to not die imo ^_^

      (mana blast, fire, bomb, monsters, ...)

I thought the risk wasn't that big, but in a way you are right.
We could make alchemy contribute to a smaller degree,
for example 20% (factor 0.2).

      > The idea about intermediary levels isn't bad, but it

      > might be hard to implement and also more complicated.

      > I think it might be easier and more appropriate to just

      > not split magic and melee in the first place.

      Hum I don't mind splitting really different magic skills. After

      all summoning elementals or using burning hands are not really

      the same thing. OTOH, icestorm & burning hands do look the same,

      except one is fire and the other is ice..

      Splitting skills though makes the game more 'realistic'.

      Even if I'm a champion at one hand weapons, I don't know

      anything about using a bow... Or punching :)

I did not suggest to merge bowyer or punching with weapon
combat. What I suggested is to merge the four wizardry, and
eventually one/two-handed weapons.

It may be realistic, but what I'm more concerned
about is the balance between classes and strategies.
In the new system, I'm happy to play a fighter or priest,
but I would not want to play a wizard. - Would you?

While wizardry was still a single skill, I did not have
the feeling that wizards had an unfair advantage.
Now they need to collect four times the experience to
get as strong as before.
This may not occur as a big problem while using wizardry
as "supporting art", but when trying to raise a true wizard-
based character, I believe it hurts.

If we leave the wizardry skills seperated, I think the
following will happen:
Over time, new spells will be added that outweigh the
disadvantages but also disturb the idea behind the diversion.
For example, someone adds a cold spell to pyromancy, because
he is so tired of raising both pyromancy and evocation
for that purpose.
The next step is that one of the four skills becomes the
"main stream" wizardry skill, like pyromancy for example,
and the other three skills degrade.

We'd have to fight continuously to prevent this from
happening. If we merge wizardry now, we can save ourselves
all the trouble and have a system which is cleaner and better IMO.

AndreasV

Jetzt kostenlos anmelden unter

     http://www.gmx.net

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com