[CF-Devel] Suggestion for new skills

Wed Oct 8 08:23:39 CDT 2003

      IMO, overall experience should primarily be a measurement

      of "overall toughness".

      In the game code, quite often questions come up like "should the player

      survive this?", "should the player get hit by this, and how much?".

      Sometimes you can decide such things based on a specific skill or

      stat value, but in other cases you really need to have an

      "overall measurement".

      Take maximum health points for example. While it may be intuitive

      to base this on a physical skill, it would be really unfair to

      those wizard/priest classes to get no good health unless training

      in a physical skill.

So hp depends on physical & magical level, but overall experience
accounts for literacy & meditation :)
I agree on the unfairness for wiz/pri, would be too nasty...

      Both alchemy and literacy do not incur the risk to die,

      hence they should not contibute IMO.

Err, alchemy IS dangerous :)
Take a level 5 char, put 10+ ingredients in a cauldron, use the alchemy
skill, you'll be lucky to not die imo ^_^
(mana blast, fire, bomb, monsters, ...)

      I also tested the new system, and I can really understand

      your notion. However, I think the main problem here is

      the split of the magic skill being problematic.

     <snip>

      The idea about intermediary levels isn't bad, but it

      might be hard to implement and also more complicated.

      I think it might be easier and more appropriate to just

      not split magic and melee in the first place.

Hum I don't mind splitting really different magic skills. After all
summoning elementals or using burning hands are not really the same thing.
OTOH, icestorm & burning hands do look the same, except one is fire and
the other is ice..

Splitting skills though makes the game more 'realistic'.
Even if I'm a champion at one hand weapons, I don't know anything about
using a bow... Or punching :)

      AndreasV

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com