[CF-Devel] Wand prices (crossfire.metalforge.net)

Wed Oct 15 22:24:14 CDT 2003

Rick Tanner wrote:

      How is pricing determined for wands and staves?

      Number of charges?

      Effective spell level? (in this case, 110)

      Spell level that the wand/staff provides?

      Some combination of all 3?

      I was just wondering based on a few wands/staffs that were found in the

      Wand Shop in Lake Country along with the prices for a character with a

      Charisma 7.

      wand of summon air elemental (lvl 110) (unpaid) will cost you 22

      platinum coins, 1 gold coin and 9 silver coins.

      staff of turn undead (lvl 93) (unpaid) will cost you 29 platinum

      coins, 1 gold coin and 6 silver coins.

      staff of show invisible (lvl 110) (unpaid) will cost you 110

      platinum coins, 1 gold coin and 1 silver coin.

      wand of small snowstorm (lvl 110) (unpaid) will cost you 90

      platinum coins and 9 silver coins.

      The Wand of Small Snowstorm had 22 charges (the others were purchased

      before I could gather more information on them..)

      Or, am I the only one who feels that wands with these kind of stats are

      priced to low? ;)

  For the new code:

  Wands are presumed to have 50 charges.  Thus, a wand with only 1 charge will
only be 1/50th of the base cost.

  The base cost is determined by value of wand object (constant in archetype,
but one could certainly make different wand arch's with different treasure list,
and increase the value of wand arch itself).  This is also basically how value
of all objects work - rods use the value of the rod arch.

  That is then multiplied by the value of the spell itself (as listed in the
archetype).  In the conversion, spell value is basically spell * 10, but there
is no reason things can't be adjusted.

  If the spell in question has variable effects (more damage, range, etc), then
it is multiplie by (wand_level + 50) / (spell_level+50).  I'm not completely
satisfied with that formula, but if you remove the +50, then low level wands
quickly get tons more expensive (eg, level 50 wand / level 1 spell = 50 times cost)

  Thus, a level 110 object for a level one spell would be something like 160/51,
or roughly 3 times as much.

  If the wand seems to have no variable effects, then price of the object is not
effected by the level of the wand (makes no difference, so why should the price
be different?)

  But the biggest variable can basically be the charges.

  First flaw in the formula may be the assumption that 50 charges is fully
charged - I don't think there is any wand that typically comes with taht many
charges. 20 may be a more typical number.

  But is also comes down to number of charges.  5 charges will cost you 5 times
as much as that same wand with one charge.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com