Magic Schools and skills, Re: [CF-Devel] Bugs on crossfire.metalforge

Fri Oct 17 12:47:43 CDT 2003

       The other thought is that there are probably enough spells to easily

      make 3 or 4 skills viable.  The problem in retrospect is that by

      grouping them by damage type, that left some skills without a lot of

      spells.

     I think this is the problem I have with pyromancy - grouping spells by
damage type really puts you in a bind since you need a range of damage
types to be sucessful.  One of the first tings I can see happenging is
people wanting to add cold based and poision and magic damage based
attacks to pyromancers and fire and lightning based to evokers.  Really
the schools should be seperated by play style where for example
sorcerers would get the different runes, evokers the wall attacks and
summonners the elementals.  In this case pyromancers would become
something more like an attack school with many cone and exploding attack
spells (of all types) but say not the runes or more passive attack
spells (walls and auras).  Anyway back to the main topic - I agree that
having 3-4 schools is good but the spells should be different but they
shouldn't be seperated along damage type lines.

       How about this for an idea - spikewall?  Makes a wall of those spikes

      that move up and down?  this would be passable at times, but not

      others.  Gives a wall with phyiscal attacks (and something that makes

      sense).  Wouldn't require any new graphics either.

     trying to use spikes with traps (after adding connection field to traps)
has been so far pretty lame - existing spikes don't do a very good job
of damaging players - they are too slow for one.  I want to make a new
spike archetype for this purpose actually...  A hidden spike shoots up
quickly and that does do some variable damage (like the spike trap but
usable as a triggered object for other things too)

If and when the new blocking code is added there are a whole range of
new wall type spells that would be fun to have - creating a wall that
blocked flying would give you a missile shield, different walls that
blocked fire or lightning, or even magic propigation would give you a
magic shields against fire lightning or magic...

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com