Magic Schools and skills, Re: [CF-Devel] Bugs on crossfire.metalforge

Fri Oct 17 02:00:02 CDT 2003

     crossfire at suckfuell.net

      wrote:

      On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:12:34 -0400, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Actually I like the four schools of magic. It's better to have four

      skills to compete with others than three. It's just that we need enough

      (and powerful enough) spells in each school to allow gaining exp in a

      reasonable way. For summoners it would be enough to tone up the lesser

      golem and golem a bit in low levels. And sorcerers definitely need a

      decent level 3 spell to fill the gap until level 5, and then a cone

      and a ball spell (like fireball or snowstorm) would be useful. Maybe the

      mana storm and the other mana spells should be moved to the sorcerer

      school.

  It should probably be noted that the spell stuff as is was basically a first
pass, so some adjustments are probably in order.

  Giving pyromancers lightning & fire gives them a lot of ability.

  You then have evokers with cold & mana spells.  Which sort of let sorcers with
the other spells (poison & effect spells).  The problem with effect spells
(paralyze, slow) is that while they may be useful, they don't gain any
experience directly.

  Looking at attacktypes, in terms of new spells, one could see adding more to
physical (cone of shards, eg, physical?)  Could add more acid spells also.

  There coudl certainly be more summoner spells also.  I added the lesser golem
spell because they needed something at least first level

  One thing that is perhaps missing in the spell code is a 'limit' on how levels
adjust the spell upwards.

  for example, it could be nice to make that first level golem spell increase
its hp/duration a bit based on each level.  However, you want to cap that so
after level 10 in summoning, it doesn't get any more poewrful (otherwise, it
could be out of whack when scaled up to level 100 for example).

  The other thought is that there are probably enough spells to easily make 3 or
4 skills viable.  The problem in retrospect is that by grouping them by damage
type, that left some skills without a lot of spells.

      An alternative wall spell like "magic fence" could be added for the

      sorcerer, that looks like a fence, is impassable, cannot be torn down

      (so you can lock yourself in) or cast through, but vanishes after some

      time.

  How about this for an idea - spikewall?  Makes a wall of those spikes that
move up and down?  this would be passable at times, but not others.  Gives a
wall with phyiscal attacks (and something that makes sense).  Wouldn't require
any new graphics either.

      Instead of removing a magic school, we should add more spells, that

      would make wizardry more interesting.

      I'm sure most characters would learn yet another magic school for that

      special powerful spell you can get there. This can even be a valuable

      goal for players that are high level in the other skills, and as long as

      your character can learn new things, the game remains interesting.

  Yeah, however, I'd not want to see a bunch of spells that are basically same
as is now, with different skill/school. Eg, if you give a mage version of
fireball, its sort of like 'what's the point of different skills then'.  So new
spell types need to be developed.

  Now in some cases, variations of existing spells could be used to fill gaps
(more medium power golem or something).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com