[CF-Devel] New skills bug: god-given resistances disappear

Mon Oct 20 18:14:50 CDT 2003

I can switch the god-given aura on and off at will:

     "apply light sword"

     You can no longer use the skill: praying.
Your resistance to fire drops to 0%.
Your resistance to confusion rises to 25%.
Your resistance to slow rises to 20%.
Readied skill: one handed weapons.
You wield light sword +3 * (wielded).

     "ready_skill praying"

     You can no longer use the skill: one handed weapons.
Readied skill: praying.
Your resistance to fire rises to 20%.
Your resistance to confusion drops to 15%.
Your resistance to slow drops to -30%.

"cast holy word" does not reactivate the resistances.

even more interesting: holy symbol:

     "ready_skill praying"

     You can no longer use the skill: one handed weapons.
You ready Paladin's holy symbol.
You can now use the skill: praying.
Your resistance to magic rises to 30%.
You stop using the Paladin's holy symbol.
Your resistance to magic drops to 0%.
Readied skill: praying.
Your resistance to confusion rises to 20%.
Your resistance to fear rises to 100%.
Your resistance to blinding attacks rises to 100%.

So we see the server first finding the skill tool and applying it.
Thus we get the associated magic resistance.
Then instead some other object is applied.
I assume it is either the object containing the experience for the praying
skill or the force object with the god's aura.
Or rather it seems to me these two objects are somehow mixed up.

A bug that is possibly related:

I just don't get any items/prayers/weapon enchantments etc. from my god.
I am level 109 in praying and have 240 grace(without altar).

I only always get :

You pray over the Altar of Mostrai.
You feel a holy presence!
You feel just fine!

So some healing spell is cast.
My impression is the server can not find the arches with the god gifts.

How did i get level 109 in praying already?
A bug of course.
I just threw some poison clouds at madmen when i suddenly got gobs
of exp.
I went from overall level 11 to 110 in one step.
I got experience in all skills proportionally to the amount in them.
So i assume the routine to remove exp when dying was called somehow,
with some value from an under-run or wrongly casted signed/unsigned.
The amount i got is suspiciously near 2^32.
Then i also noticed, that my client shows me negative overall exp.
The gcfclient from cvs i use is supposed to throw an error if neither
long nor long long have the 8 byte for the int64 types.

Finally my 2 cents about the new skill system:
I like it.
I do not think the 4 wizard skill too unbalanced.
I personally find summoning the most tedious to raise, not sorcery.
That is because one stops gaining sp while steering a golem.
But different skills are supposed to be .. well different.
I find myself forced to use spells i never used much before.
IMO, that is something positive.
Of course it's very difficult to get a high level in singing or such.
But I'd rather call it a challenge than a problem.
Nobody complains about karate vs. punching or dragons vs. quez. either.

Bernd Edler

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com