[CF-Devel] On teleportation

Tue Oct 21 02:21:19 CDT 2003

       Perhaps, but to me that just exposes a lot more of the internals off

      how the maps are laid out and it certainly wouldn't be easy for the

      players to do.

Well, mapinfo gives already some hints, since it gives the whole map path...

       You also have risks like player entering coordinates that is in the

      middle of hte ocean, on the blocked mountain tops, etc.

True. So either we check for this kind of things, or tell the player
'use at your own risk' :)

       If you really wanted to do such an idea, then one could put out 10 (or

      other number) of set points.  Not necessarily right next to points of

      interest, but could put general descriptions (Great forest to west of

      scorn, 'mount sorig' (highest mountain on the continent), etc.

       Thus, it may still provide some means to accelerate where you want to

      get to, with it still be more sensical for players to use (for various

      quests, NPC's could perhaps even state that it is near whatever

      teleporter).

The only drawback I can see is that, if we ever add another gate, we'll
need to update all teleportation houses with this new point. Not that a
big deal maybe, but still...

       For a little color, make an image that denotes it is a gate exit

      point.  Thus, if you do find something of interest on the maps, and

      happen to notice such an exit point nearby, you could know to use it to

      teleport in the future.

       But the idea of moon gates or other things is probably a bit more

      interesting - this idea is sort of like that.  If you really want, some

      ability that by paying certain amounts of moon, you could teleport to

      whatever moon gate from the teleporters guild or whatever.

Would be fun to track ingame time/date, and not only time. Would be fun,
imagine: this gate is only accessible from the 5th to the 10th of the
month :)

The idea of guilds is nice too, but it's slightly more restraining.

But yes, being able to teleport at some places would be a great feature,
however we implement it...

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com