[CF-Devel] On teleportation

Wed Oct 22 01:52:56 CDT 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

       Perhaps, but to me that just exposes a lot more of the internals off

      how the maps are laid out and it certainly wouldn't be easy for the

      players to do.

      Well, mapinfo gives already some hints, since it gives the whole map

      path...

  But that doesn't tell you position on the map.  And arguably, the mapinfo
command could be removed or otherwise more hidden (eg, have a map name in the
map header, and display that instead of the map path).

      The only drawback I can see is that, if we ever add another gate, we'll

      need to update all teleportation houses with this new point. Not that a

      big deal maybe, but still...

  Not really true.  It means if you want to add that gate and have it
accessible, you need to update the teleporter shop.  But one could certainly see
cases of the teleporter shops in different towns even being a bit different (eg,
the one in navar city may have some destinations that are more in its local
vicinity).

  Also, I'd expect the teleporters in the shops to be one way teleporters - they
will get you there, but you need some other way to get back.

      Would be fun to track ingame time/date, and not only time. Would be fun,

      imagine: this gate is only accessible from the 5th to the 10th of the

      month :)

  I believe this is already done.  The weather code has to rely on that for
seasons and what not.

  The other reason to disallow user supplied coordinates:  There are some maps,
lake county comes immediately to mind, but probably places like pup land also,
where movement on the map itself is restricted, eg, it is part of a quest or
something to be able to get to a certain space on the map.  If the user could
supply coordinates, they could easily bypass any such checks.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com