[CF-Devel] The new magic skills

Wed Oct 22 02:06:47 CDT 2003

  Some quick notes:

  Several of the decisions mentioned aren't that big a deal.  At low levels, it
really doesn't make too much difference what weapon/skill your exp goes into.

  I'd also note that while you can have a very simple generation system which is
good for newbies, then experienced players say 'this is just the same as I
played last time'.  So in that sense, having a more complex method allows people
to try out more/different things.

  That said, I have mentioned in the past the idea of a nicer interface for
character (ideally, IMO, would be to have something like a nice menu provided on
the client, with different selections and documentation on what you want to do.)

  However, there are probably some simple improvements that could be done:
Remove stat rolling - just give the player X points to adjust around as they
want to.

  Perhaps reduce the number of classes some.  At some level, providing player
mechanism to by some starting equipment/packages would be nice.

  However, I don't have a good solution depending on how newbie the person is.
How can you really go about explaining all the stats and what you need them for?
  Same for skills?  At some point, you really need to say 'RTFM'.

  Perhaps the simplest would be as the suggestion - have some number of premade
characters.  Something like a first question:  Fast character creation for new
players, or detailed creation (f/d).

  If the player selects detailed, something like teh current method.  If the
player selects fast, then something like:

  Your choices for character are:
1) Human fighter
2) Elf Wizard
3) dwarf cleric

  Some number of pre-made characters (Templates).  Include in the template a
book describing the character and its attributes (note info about the race and
class).

  Thus, new players could be sure of getting a good character (in terms of
stats, and stats in the right place, and right race/class combo).  The book
could also mention that a bit 'the fighter has high strength, which improves
damage, constituation, which improves his hit points, and dexterity, which
improves his speed and armor class.  His stats in ... are lower, because they
are needed for spellcasting'.

  For those template characters, I'd only include the main/normal characters
(eg, not some of the mixed fighter/wizard ones for example).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com