[CF-Devel] Base stats

Thu Oct 23 22:25:07 CDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Rick Tanner wrote:

      On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Palfy Tamas wrote:

      > I thought I just mention this:

      > I think it's weird that the higher your stat is, the greater bonuses it

      > provides.

      Weird, how?

I mean, improving str from 29 to 30 gives far more bonuses than from 25
to 26. (Like at 28 str, plus one str (28->29) gives +10 damage, at 29 str,
plus one str (29->30) gives +15 damage. (Numbers may not be exact...)
The function is exponential. The higher the stat is, the greater
the bonus one plus of that stat gives. It forces players into some "the
more I have the more I want" mood.
(Ok, my mistake, my phrasing was pretty bad.)

      Comparing someone with a Strength of 3 vs a Strength of 30 they both

      should have the same damage bonus, weight/carrying capacity, et al.

      Or, do you mean the bonuses obtained when improving an ability score is

      too great. For instance the damage bonus for Str 29 is 10 while for Str 30

      is 15.

      > This may or may not be a good idea, it depends on the available

      > equipment. I just think devs do _not_ think about this fact, while

      > cerating a new item. In such cases (items created independently) it's

      > not a good idea.

      Can you provide an example of this?

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com