[CF-Devel] On teleportation

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Oct 25 22:34:14 CDT 2003

Preston Crow wrote:

      On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 16:07, Todd Mitchell wrote:

     There are already potrals in the apartments,

      Yup.  I was thinking that the apartment portal system could be revamped

      a bit.  My thought would be to change it to have the apartment have a

      room that has a gateway to each apartment.  When you first enter the

      room from an apartment, all you see is a key and a door.  Every time you

      buy a new apartment (and buy access to the room of doors, if necessary),

      you open up one more connection.

  Yeah - could be pretty simple - just put each teleporter behind a door that
you need to buy a key for.

  For that matter, a teleporter shop for money is similarly easy - put
teleporters behind timed gates.  Player drops sum of money that activates timed
gate, at which point he walks through.

  In practice, several players could could contribute and probably all get
through the gate before it closes again.  Which I wouldn't consider a bad thing.

  Anyways, back to teleporters on the big world:

  I don't have a problem with fast transportation to the various cities, for a
fee.  So you can eliminate the scorn to navar city travel time to near zero if
you want to spend xyz platinum.

  I do have a problem with setting up teleporters that drop you near
'interesting' dungeons.  As said, if we're going to do that, why not just put
the dungeon right in the city then?

  I also think that such a change would make it more likely such dungeons are
always cleared out.  Easier it is to get to, more players that will use it.

  I don't have as much a problem with teleporters (one way) putting you some
spot on the world map.  These should just not be tied because there is a dungeon
next to it (example could be 'mid continent along the road'.

  I'm wary of using teleporters extensively simply for reasons others have
mentioned - it diminishes the needs for existing teleporters located in guilds
and apartments, or the variosu spells for that matter (town portal, dimension door).

  As for camping, I have a feeling few players would actually have their
character camp out waiting for a dungeon.  Most likely if you have time to play
right, you're not going to want to sit by the dungeon waiting for it to reset.
The only real use I could think of that might be something like 'time for bed.
But let me put my character next to dungeon xyz, so that when I return tomorrow
night, hopefully I can dive right in'.

  As for moon or time based gates, that is fine by me - I also played whatever
ultima it was on. There are of course numerous ways to do that.  If I recall
ultima correctly, there were two moons.  The phase of the first moon would
determine if a particular gate was active, and the phase of the second moon
would then determine destination.

  such an idea is interesting.  Especially, if as I recall, ultima did something
like one destination was only available at a certain moon phase.

  Such a teleportation system, given the size of hte world, may not be a bad
thing.  However, under such a system, the gates should still be placed a bit
randomly, and not right next to whatever dungeon.  This is what I recall ultima
also did - the gates were scattered across the world.  some were near dungeons
or cities, but that in a sense was more by chance - many others were for lack of
better term in the middle of no place, but perhaps still closer than any near by
city.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com