[CF-Devel] Map building, continued

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Oct 28 02:15:22 CST 2003

       I'm dubious that a good, easy to use in game map editor can be done

      that will do everything players want without opening up other holes.

       OK - I know that can't happen, because some players have extreme

      demands.  But you really get into problems of what a player want and can

      you really allow it (I want to make a teleporter to X.  I want a

      cauldron.  I want an ....)

If I were to include map building, at first i'd only include walls &
doors (what i did till now). Doing just that is a good start imo, and
could serve as a test whether players want more or not. It of course
lets customize much already. And probably all building must be
restricted to one's apartment.

Teleporters could be done. For instance, buy a teleporter to Navar & put
it where you want. Of course only predefined locations. Or why not allow
building teleporters between one players's apartments.

After that, it just depends on what restrictions we want to impose on
players. Cauldron, why not. If the player puts it in a corner, with a
door to protect in case of bad fireback (like there is in a guild), i
see no issue with that.

Of course prices would have to be taken into account. I was thinking of
either making it expensive (# platinum) or using rare items, or why not
alchemy-made items you couldn't buy - something to give players the will
to level in some skills.

       More likely the bigger problem is time.  If I'm working on X, I may not

      have time to look at someones proposed patch for Y.  That's probably the

      biggest issue.

Agreed on that.

Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com