[CF-Devel] Map building, continued

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Oct 28 23:15:48 CST 2003

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

       I'm dubious that a good, easy to use in game map editor can be done

      that will do everything players want without opening up other holes.

       OK - I know that can't happen, because some players have extreme

      demands.  But you really get into problems of what a player want and

      can you really allow it (I want to make a teleporter to X.  I want a

      cauldron.  I want an ....)

      If I were to include map building, at first i'd only include walls &

      doors (what i did till now). Doing just that is a good start imo, and

      could serve as a test whether players want more or not. It of course

      lets customize much already. And probably all building must be

      restricted to one's apartment.

  yeah.  But if you only allow walls & doors, which could easily be checked for
uploaded maps, most any map could be safe.

  You obviously don't want players populating maps where they shouldn't.  But
one could sell some number of the empty houses for example (let players design
their own guilds?)

      Teleporters could be done. For instance, buy a teleporter to Navar & put

      it where you want. Of course only predefined locations. Or why not allow

      building teleporters between one players's apartments.

  Yeah - only to predefined locations.  Intra apartment teleporters could be
done, but would be hard to do just as is (a teleporter to navar city is pretty
simple, as the map name and coordinates are well known.  To teleport to a
players apartment, the map name is now variable.)

      Of course prices would have to be taken into account. I was thinking of

      either making it expensive (# platinum) or using rare items, or why not

      alchemy-made items you couldn't buy - something to give players the will

      to level in some skills.

  I personally don't like the idea of requiring players to level in skills if
they don't want to use it.

  And from a 'realistic' point, one would say there would be alchemists willing
to do the work.  Just as in real life, it isn't a requirement to be a mechanic
to drive a car - you can pay someone else to be the mechanic.  If there was any
trueness to the crossfire world, same would be true - if there were a bunch of
people that wanted alchemy work done, and alchemist would open up shop and do so.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com