[CF-Devel] feature request - email player files

Wed Sep 10 00:22:27 CDT 2003

Rick Tanner wrote:

      The idea has been discussed on IRC and requested a number of times to me

      through private email and while logged in on the metalforge server..

      People are very interested in the ability to have their player files

      emailed to them.

      The basic concept is, the player visits a web page and enters in their

      character's name and password.  If this is correct, they then enter an

      email address and the player file is sent to that address.  I'm pretty

      sure there more to it then this and that I've overlooked some basic

      security protocols.

      Is anyone up to the challenge of making this a possibility? =)

      Questions, comments or other ideas?

  Shouldn't be that hard.  A few notes:

1) If possible, might be nice to verify that the player isn't currently logged
into the server.

2) Giving players access to their file does give them some extra information.
Eg, they can see what unidentified are (not that big a deal, given the easy),
but there can be hidden forces in the object which they might otherwise not be
aware of.

3) rather than sending e-mail, I'd just have the cgi-script send the data to the
browser, just putting in the appropriate content-type flag so the browser deals
with it appropriately.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com