[CF-Devel] autoconfig requirements

Sun Sep 14 05:19:26 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 04:24, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

      On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 04:32:39AM -0400, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      > You type in a make install on debian woody and see how far you get.

      Didn't you touch any file in crossfire sources? If not, then this must

      be a bug in crossfire build infrastructure or in Debian Woody.

      Try uninstalling autoconf and automake and run make install then.

      Greets,

              Jacek

     I think you are missing my point, these products work ok on my system
and I can make the server with a couple work arounds.
The problem is that aclocal.m4 has an entry that has an entry that
says AC_PREREQ([2.54]) - it will not even attempt to make the package
unless I change that to  AC_PREREQ([2.52]) and then it builds fine (with
a warning about automake 1.7 not being installed).
Now I have automake and autoconf installed (versions that come with
woody) and they work ok.  I can build crossfire all day long.  At some
point in the recent past someone updated the CVS and inserted these
changes which are not really requiremernts but which cause problems for
some people on standard distros because they act like requirements.

Here is the change, notice that the tool used to build the file was
newer (actually likely from Debian unstable distro).

     http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/crossfire/crossfire/aclocal.m4.diff?r1=1.9&r2=1.10

Now if there was a need to upgrade the autoconf version (new
functionality, more performance...) then that would be one thing, but if
it was just done because that's what was running on the developers
system at the time then I would like to see it changed back.

I am saying basically that if we didn't need to upgrade the tool used to
do the configure script then we shouldn't have upgraded it.  I cannot
say what other distros this will impact, but I suspect that most people
haven't come across it yet since it is in CVS or you would be hearing
more about it.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com