[CF-Devel] Client scripting interface

Sun Sep 14 15:36:28 CDT 2003

Hello everyone.

<removed some text>

     And the big question: Is this something that I should check in, or is

     something we don't want players using?  (I could see it being abused to

     gain non-combat experience, automatically drink healing potions as needed,

     and things like that, as well as more mundane tasks such as inventory

     management.)

     --PC

Well, as many things, I see this as double-edged sword :)
I can see it being it used for things like: drink a potion of lava
resistance if available, else a fire resistance one, and if none, invoke
protection from fire
Thus enhanced protection, easier for the player to manage (no need to
bind 3 keys to those things, and no need to remember what potions player
has in inventory).

On the other hand, it could be used for things like: whenever a dragon
appears on the map (detectable from image), or fire, or something like
that, automatically drink a potion... thus helping the player, maybe too
much...
Or as you said automatic potions drinking (even though sometimes
drinking doesn't help a lot :)

For alchemy & such it could be used too, but you can already do much
with a simple copy & paste....but it'll sure be easier if automated
(write a zillion scrolls & gain much xp)

Also it raises the issue of client playing automatically, like player
making alchemy while user is chatting somewhere else...which, imo, is
not something we'd want. (even though mental is such a pain to level
without partying...)

So maybe we should limit what information the script receives, and what
it can do...
The big question being 'what exactly' :)

Just my 2 cents
Nicolas 'Ryo'

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com