[CF-Devel] shouting channels

Sat Sep 20 11:29:26 CDT 2003

Here is a topic I posted to the CF forum of a functionality I would like
to see in the game - Shouting Channels

I am liking this idea more as I think more about it.

<quote from forum>
I realize that people in a party can use gsay but a party also entails
sharing Xp however - what about if you want to tune into a chat without
being in a party? Well if there were channels that you could create and
listen to that would be nice. Say I am new - I can sign up for the
newbie channel, or if I am am in a guiild I can sign up for the guild
channel. This would be great IMHO. I saw this on a few muds and think it
is good way to have community and not have to listen to everything. A
command to view the current list and start up or sign up for channels
would be great IMHO. I am not sure passwords are a good idea here - this
is not a private conversation sort of thing and there is still gsay and
good old fashioned say and tell for more private conversation.

<snip> Here is how I picture it working:

The server will initialize an array of a defined size (set in
etc/settings - maybe something like 99 or whatever is a useful number)
and populate it with some channel names from a file called var/channels
and fill the rest of the array with nulls.)

There is an array added to player structure to hold the channel names
players subscribe to.

There is a command to add a new channel (temporary) like 'channel add
<name>', to list all the channels like 'channel list', to subscribe to
channels like 'channel join <name>'. The channel list will show the
channel name and the operator name.

Maybe a command like channel hide <name> that checks to see if you are
the creator and takes it off the list of channels. Of course channel
close which will remove the channel if you are the operator.
There is a DM command to make a channel permanent (writes the channel
name to the file in var)

So when you want a new channel you add it and it is added with your name
attached - if you leave the game the chanel is removed. If a Dm sets a
channel or it is hardwritten into the channel file in var then it is not
assigned to any player and is persistant.

An entry is added into new_draw_info that checks if the message is a
channel shout (by using the listen level for channel shouts - something
we set up) and if so if you are subscribed to a particular channel - if
you are you get the message.

Maybe the command would be 'cshout' for "channel shout"?

To shout you have to type 'cshout <channel>', if you want to shout to
all chanels you belong to you type 'cshout all"

I guess channel messages would appear like <channel:playername> and all
channel messages should be the same colour to distinguish that this is
where the message is coming from.

So to recap - anyone can make a channel but only DM or admins can set up
permanent chanels that stay around. If you leave your channel is closed.

Then if you want to shout - it's still ok but really if you are shouting
all the time the DM will shut you up.

Sound reasonable? Any other thought on this? I guess finding out what
are the different listening levels would have to be done but as far as I
can tell 0 is system, 1 is shout and 5 is used for stuff like players
joining or leaving the game so maybe 2 or 3 would be a good one to use
since you will only get messages if you join a channel and I can see
folks turning off other messaging but keeping this on for stuff they
signed on for. <end of quote>

- so any thoughts?

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com