[CF-Devel] autoconfig requirements

Tue Sep 23 00:24:31 CDT 2003

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      One think I have brought up before and now again is that the

      requirements to make the server are now automake1.7 and autoconfig 2.54

      or higher.  These exceed the standard versions of these tool s in Debian

      stable and likely many other distros.  Are these versions really

      requirements?  I have managed to make the server by changing the

      aclocal.m4 entry for autoconfig 2.54 to 2.52 and it compiles fine as far

      as I can see (some automake warning but otherwise fine).  This would

      represent a problem howver for folks not familiar with the server and

      with distros that do not have this version of automake.  Should we

      really force people to update standard OS tools to install a game?  My

      point is if it isn't really a requirement then can we change it so that

      people have less problems?  I am not saying that progress is not wanted

      or that tools do not evolve, but arbitrary pseudo-requrements that cause

      barriers or confusion for people are not good.  We cannot and do not

      want to be tracking OS distros, but if a *required* tool version is not

      in a major release such as Debian stable and is not *really* required I

      can't see the value here.  I think it should be changed or someone

      explain the necessity.  Personally I think it was likely slipped in by

      accident.

  Looking at that code a little tonight, it appears that if you use the
'autogen.sh' script in the top level directory, it then goes and runs aclocal
and autoheader.  aclocal then embeds the versions of the various tools in its
own files.

  The real solution is probably for users who have older versions to re-run the
aclocal/autoheader/automake themselves.  The problem is that this re-generates
all the makefiles.

  The better solution is probably to never use the autogen file.  Unless your
actually changing the some of the custom macros, you should never need to run
aclocal.  If all that is happening is that some makefile.am's are updated, all
that should need to be done is run automake, which should hopefully not rev the
required version information.

      On a related note I think the server config should also check for X

      libraries and if they are not there it should not attempt to make

      crossedit.  Someone on this list should be educated enough in the build

      configure scripting to be able to make that work, no?  Isn't it possible

      to do something like:

       if  not x11LIBS:

      	SUBDIRS = A B C

       else:

      	SUBDIRS = A B C crossedit

  This should now be in place.  Not that hard in fact - just had to read the
automake manual.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com