[CF-Devel] autoconfig requirements

Mon Sep 15 00:57:44 CDT 2003

  In general, all the files should be commited that are needed to build the
server so that unless you actually modify the makefiles or configure.ac, that
one shouldn't need automake or autoconf.

  The problem seems to be that whenever aclocal.m4 is rebuilt, it puts in
whatever version of autoconf is onthe target system as the minimum required version.

  the other problem is that since crossfire went to automake, that the makefiles
will detect if some file is out of data.  When automake wasn't in use, never a
problem as the process of running make would never run autoconf.

  This is compounded by the problem that since dependency checking is done, the
order that files are checked in/checked out can matter.  And I don't think a cvs
checkin/checkout from the top level directory will necessarily be in the correct
order for the datestamp of the files to be correct.

  The ideal thing, which I'm not sure if its possible, since I didn't do the
automake stuff, would be so that the makefiles never try to run
automake/autoconf on their own - only run those if developers specifically
execute some command.  Then the issue of checkin/checkout order is not important.

  As for crossedit, that problem is trickier - look at the Makefile.am - that is
converted into the Makefile.in (automatically), which is converted into the
Makefile.  Removing crossedit in that process is very difficult.

  The simplest thing would be to just remove crossedit all together. Beyond
that, not really sure what can easily be done, because the makefile.am's don't
have a whole bunch of code in them, so I'm not really sure how easy one can
control compile behaviour.

  However, crossedit is already listed as the last directory to build, so any
errors it generates are purely cosmetic/obnoxious, and won't effect the building
of any of the other bits.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com