[CF-Devel] Idea: Resting

Tue Sep 30 23:30:15 CDT 2003

  While driving home from work the other night, the thought that all the
furniture in the game is basically useless, and that is a bit of a shame.

  I also thought that characters never actually sleep.  Must be a lot of
caffeine in the water.

  So my thought was to add a 'rest' command.

  When resting, you are blind (eyes closed after all).  Your hp/sp/grace regen
goes up, for food consumption goes down.

  I thought the hp/sp/grace regen would just be nice for those cases where you
have a whole bunch to regen - getting it back faster would be nice.

  If you take any damage while resting, or you enter any command, you stop resting.

  The extension I had is that you then have modifiers for resting (basically,
meaning how much hp/sp/grace regen bonus you get).  If you try to rest in the
street while it is raining, you gain nothing for example.

  However, if you have a nice comfy bed in the inn, you'd get a whole bunch of
bonuses while resting.   Resting in a chair gives some bonuses, but not quite so
many.  I could even see some additional objects, eg, mats/bedrolls characters
carry around to rest on.

  OR it might be simpler to just remove things like chairs/tables/beds from
being weapons, and instead make them 'rest enabling objects'.  So if you apply
the object, that starts your resting.  This might also be nice, because then the
food/sp/grace/hp fields from those objects could be used to denote rest benefits
without having to worry about their meaning for them being weapons.

  Thoughts?  It wouldn't seem like this should be that hard to code in.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com