[CF-Devel] fear again

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Apr 10 02:28:26 CDT 2004

Palfy Tamas wrote:

      I'm a 89 lvl dragon with 0 fear resistance (in fact, it's -100 (Gaea)

      +100 (Amulet of Shielded Mind) = 0).

      Regular dragons' fears still affect me. (Can't determine the rate, but

      seems far more than 50%...)

  (If you are starting a new subject, please don't reply to existing posts.
Smart mail readers that do threading get confused by this, and put your message
(and possible thread) jumbled up with the other threads).

  In any case, back to the subject on hand - I'd guess this might be related to
the way players get hit by the same spell more than once

  EG, if you cast fear (or slow, or paralyze, etc), you get a case of the spell
actually being several spaces 'deep' as it moves accross the map.  Thus, even
though only one spell has been cast, you may get hit by several spell effects
from the same spell.

  there has been talk about how to resolve this in the past - it gets tricky, in
that you can't really keep track of all the spell effects the player has been
hit with recently to know if this is a new one or not.

  For cone spells, this is especiall tricky, as what happens is that as the
spell progress, each space behind puts the spell in 3 spaces, left, center,
right.  The effect of this is that the center of the cone spell now effectively
have more effects happening, and thus more damage.  This perhaps make sense for
damaging spells, less so for effects spells.

  However, I just had the thought - there are two ways this could be dealt with:

1) Make the spell effect only 1 space deep.  Thus, for a fear, confusion,
whatever spell, you'll only be hit by it once (unless you decide to run along
with it).  This reduces some of the display effect, but maybe not that big a deal.

2) Make only the leading edge do the actual effect, and the trailing bits are
just for visual purposes.  The only disadvantage with this method is there is
the odd effect that a player from the side could step into the tailing portion
of the spell, and since that is only for visual purposes, not get effected.

  However, none of these deal with the fact that the center of the cone has more
effects overlapping.  So one possibility is that for effect spells, don't
overlap that center area with more effects.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com