Re: [CF-Devel] big world - big problems

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Apr 12 19:59:40 CDT 2004

*sigh* I'm starting to feel there's no 1 person here who's trying to
_understand_ me instead of trying to prove why I'm _not_right_.
I said I'm not the type who crabs others selfless works, and it's true!
But it really pisses me off when peepo treat me so disdainfully and tell
me platitudes as explanation.
Allow me to try again. I'll be as understandable as possible.
The problem is the bigworld maps imperspicuity.
Fact that peepo _do_ have problems with orientation - maybe except poof
aka ERACC who has a wonderful, but naiv soul who likes
everything as they are. ( Sorry, ERACC, but telling such thing like

"the more I look around on the "wasteland" the more I come to recognize
certain landmark features. I have managed to notice MEMORIZABLE features
that I now use to get to several locations with 100% accuracy. The maps
are not "random", they are static."

I can't help but call it naiv. Maybe there are some locations that are
recognizable, but they are few in number. I know what I'm talking
about, I have done exploring for hours - I'm not writing this all
thing just because I'm an angry child -, and I don't have a bad
sense of locality. But hours were not enough to have even a clue about
the regularity of the landmarks. Ok, maybe I'm too stupid for this,
but then most of the players are too stupid for this as well. Look on
the whole bigworld map, put your hand on your hart at tell me "Ah, yeah,
I know the whole thing, most of it at least, just tell me a location, put
me anyhere and I'll be there in no time without watching the
coordianates."  Maybe you know 5, maybe 10% of the bigworld map, but the
nonbigworld map was almost 100% perspicuous to anyone.)

I heard the explanation "it is a test server", well, ok, that's what I
hear all the time when something's wrong. Would it be  really that hard
not to treat us, players as enemies or children? You really would tell
such an explanation to your friends for example?
How do I mean it? I'll explain.
I'm a working man, I'm working on projects, I know what means
responsability, and I know what "test" means.
Whenever we reach a state that's worth testing, we know it's _almost_
finished. We don't even bother with testing unless we know it's ready.
Is this bigworld map really ready? That's what I asked in my previous
mail, just think about it impartially.
I don't like reciting "facts", but it's true even _known_ locations are
hard to find (I personally make notes of coordinates - but how do I know
coordinates...? How can one get such an information?).

One thought slipped into my mind: players cannot point out mistakes of
devs. Devs are implicitly cannot be mistaken. That's the attitude I feel.
Well let me tell you one thing. I'm not doing this because I'm a helpless
looser in the game and have no other idea but to complain to the devs. I
know lotsa things about this game, and can do almost anything there I
want to. I can get xp, items, anything in no time, I have the experience.
And now I even know almost every location I consider worthy.
_I'm_not_doing_this_for_myself!_  I'm an experienced player, I can see
not only what's good for myself, but what's good for the players in
general. I just want this game to be as good as possible.
I hope... I hope I'm not alone.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com