[CF-Devel] Divine shock, et al.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Apr 17 02:11:17 CDT 2004

David McIlwraith wrote:

      It has come to my attention that divine shock is a pitifully weak spell. At

      level 15, I am virtually unable to kill even basic creatures, such as

      skeletons, with it. Despite the fact it is a "level 1" praying spell, level

      12-13 (approx.) is required to obtain it from Sorig. By comparison,

      banishment, which is denied to Sorig followers, is far more powerful. Given

      that god-given spells are meant to be more powerful -- due to their

      rarity -- irrespective of level, the wc -30 it has been assigned on poof's

      request is still too low. Moreover, it was once far more powerful again; the

      reduction in power has been severe and quite noticable. The sparseness of

      spells given by Sorig is another contributing factor; thus, I propose a

      change of the wc of the archetype for divine_shock to -45. Attached is a

      patch. Banishment's wc is -40.

  wc is only relevant for it actually hitting the target.  Is that so much the
problem, vs it not doing enough damage/lasting long enough/etc?

  It may very well be that the change to make is to increase the dam, or
decrease teh dam_modifier value so that damage goes up faster.  At least at low
levels, I can't see a wc of -30 vs -40 being all significant (creatures that low
aren't going to have that low an ac anyays).  So I think changing the wc isn't
likely to make any signficant improvement for the spell.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com