[CF-Devel] Item bugs.

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Apr 18 02:13:53 CDT 2004

Palfy Tamas wrote:

      Second, once I found 10 cursed Cloaks of Acid Proofing in the shop. I

      uncursed one and am keepingthe rest, here is their stats:

      That is cloak of Acid Proofing * (Int-2)(item_power +3)(resist acid +130)

      It is made of: astolare.

  The resist acid +130 is obviously a problem.

  I'm not 100% how this happened.  But I see that cloaks of acid proofing
normally have resist_acid 65.  So my guess is that a clever player took some
cloaks of acid proofing, and then did the same transformation again, basically
doubling the bonus (65 * 2 = 130).

  This actually is a bit of a problem - the artifact code itself doesn't do any
bounds checking (hence, resist +130).  But even if we put in bounds checking for
that, imagine abuse in terms of other recipes (eg, an artifact that increases a
stat, just keep making that item over and over on itself, and now its a +30 stat
item).  The artifact grant code is basically presuming that it will only be
called once for any item, and that the values set in the artifact file itself
are sane.

  I'm not positive the fix - one thing would certainly be to change the artifact
code so that item_power is cumulative (so those cloaks would have an item_power
of 6).  However, the may still not fix the problem.

  Another idea is to do additional checks on the starter item, eg, don't allow
something that is already an artifact to be the object that is improved further.
  This may reduce the fun of alchemy some, but is probably the safest approach.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com