[CF-Devel] image bug #2 (large images)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Apr 18 02:51:01 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Here is the other bug I discovered with large images.

      Large images are placed behind other objects.

      This really looks odd and destroys the game illusion.  I am not sure how

      two large images should interact properly but objects should be placed

      behind creatures anyway.  If a large monster image crosses a large

      building image I think if the head is not crossed it renders properly.

  This is much more difficult to deal with.

  The basic problem is that there is a limited number of map layers to deal with.

  At some point, I basically need to redo the map layering logic.  The bigimage
stuff made life much more complicated.

  The reason this is so is because only the 'head' of the bigimage object is
set.  So if on that space, it is something like 'sand, big monster', the big
monster is in the middle layer.

  But if in the middle of the creature, you have something like 'sand, chair,
dagger', the dagger is at a higher level, so is drawn on top of the creature.
That one is hard to fix, other than to say not draw the dagger.

  Two bigimages interfact properly if on the same space - this is because the
order may be something like 'sand, shop, cyclops', and so cyclops is not on the
proper layer.

  What I probably need to do on the server side is basically same as on the
client - add more layers - have 3 for the big images, and 3 for normal objects -
thus, the processing and interaction is much easier.

  Along with that, probably redo the protocol to be able to send those layers as
they are, eg, layers 1-6, so that the client has it easier also.  But that is a
little further off.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com