[CF-Devel] some spells weirdness

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Apr 18 23:35:10 CDT 2004

Avion wrote:

      On April 17, 2004 09:42 pm, Karla Stenger wrote:

     hi all,

     	i'm just posting some weird things players have made me notice today:

     	-the movement of objects caused by spells is also able to move an earth

     wall from it's place, not sure if this one effect is intended, but my logic

     tells me it shouldnt, maybe making the walls weigh more or do a check for

     the object not beeing a wal before pulling it would be nice.

      This is my fault and cone spell knockback changes may be causing effects I

      didn't anticipate like this.

      I think making the wall weigh more is the proper thing to do as a very

      powerful spell should IMHO be able to push an earth wall.  If this seems

      reasonable I'll set walls at the same weight as heavy bolders.

  My concern here is things like weak walls, which are basically same as
earthwalls - it doesn't make sense for them to be pushed back (it wouldn't look
right) - if anything, if there is so much force in the spell, it should end up
destroying the object.

  Think of those walls you hack through - you start with something like:

--+--

  (+ being the weak portion).  So you are south of that wall, and cast the
spell, and get something like

   +
-- --

  which would be pretty bizarre looking, and doesn't make a lot of sense (as the
weak wall itself would still have the crisp lines where it is supposed to meet
up with the actual wall.  I suppose for those walls, you could set an incredibly
high weight.

  But it would just seem that if there is something powerful enough to be moving
a wall back, the wall would get destroyed in teh process (individual bricks
broken out, or hunks or earth, etc).  So having it destroy earthwalls (or damage
them) probably makes more sense.

  Just a note - setting a heavy weight on all the earthwalls may create issues
with some maps - if any maps currently have earthwalls on top of buttons, on the
basis the earthwall doesn't way much, and thus the button isn't activated,
setting a heavy weight for the earthwall will change it-  the button would start
activated.  I don't know if there are any maps like this, but just a consideration.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com