[CF-Devel] map/image layers

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Apr 19 02:04:35 CDT 2004

  As part of my message about redoing the protocol, and fixing up other areas, I
thought I'd share my thought about redoing the image/layering information.

  One problem with the current method is that objects move between layers,
depending what other information is on the map.  As an example, consider monster
- would normally be in the middle layer, but if he stops on a space that has
another object on it, he moves to the top layer, and then moves to the middle
layer again.

  This is more acute when it comes to spells - spells generally are the top
layer - which means that if a spell is cast on monsters, which are also on the
top layer (because of extra items beneath them), they get moved down a layer.

  This causes extra problems with the big images, as there may be a singular
object in the middle of the big object that then floats above the big image.

  So the thought is to have more layers defined - this is what I came up with,
starting from the bottom:

layer 1: Floor objects.
layer 2: items - chairs, food, chests, etc.
layer 3: Same as above, if more than 1 is present on a space.
layer 4: creatures (monsters & players)
layer 5: flying objects (Arrows, spells, or if a creature is flying, the
creature itself)

  This adds some bandwidth - there are now 5 layers instead of 3.  However, it
would be uncommon for all 5 layers to be in use for any given space - most
spaces will be as they are now - only a few images on it (floor, creature, maybe
an item).

  The change here is that each layer has a defined meaning, so for example, the
layers monsters are on won't change based on the map, spell effects, etc - they
are always on layer 4.

  I include 2 layers for objects simply so nicer presentation is allowed, eg,
the bottle on top of the table will be displayed properly (if there was only 1
layer for for images, then only the bottle would be displayed).

  Any thoughts?  Would people see the need for more layers than this (at some
level, you get diminishin returns, as objects will obscure other objects).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com