[CF-Devel] map/image layers

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Apr 19 02:46:47 CDT 2004

       Any thoughts?  Would people see the need for more layers than this (at

      some level, you get diminishin returns, as objects will obscure other

      objects).

Hum, the proposal sounds nice.
I have only one concern, it's that it prevents having monsters under items.
This means that you couldn't put an ant under a table (which would be
their logical position, unless they climb the table). I know the code
doesn't support that right now, but it's been talked about - redoing
with 5 layers as you suggest would make it harder to tweak later...

So my turn to suggest, but it may be a bigger change :)
New fields 'altitude' and 'height' and 'max size to be under'. Usually
we'll have 'altitude' == 'max size' (case of arrows for instance).
A table will be (arbitrary units) 'altitude' = 0, 'max size' = 1,
'height' = 1.2
An ant with 'height' = .1 will go under the table. A troll with height =
2 will go over, thus altitude becomes 1.2 (climb on table; would be fun
to have max weight resist table => table crumbles => monster gets hit :pp).

That'll let us also have fun with walls - altitude = 0, max size under =
0, height = 3. A player with max_climb (another new field?) = .5 &
height = 2 couldn't reach the top of the wall & thus couldn't go on the
other side.

Using current 3 layer approach, we'll be able to know what items to
display - the three ones with higher altitude + height

Not sure that'll solve all issues, but well. Just my 2 cents of € :)

Nicolas

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com