[CF-Devel] Hunting hardcoded values

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Apr 22 00:18:30 CDT 2004

Rick Tanner wrote:

      I believe the hardcoded value for Enchant Armour is intential, as

      described in these threads:

      http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2001-May/001984.html

      http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/crossfire-devel/2002-June/003190.html

      Players were able to obtain Armour of 99 and AC's of -40some with relative

      ease under the older system.  Monsters with physical attack (only)

      wouldn't stand a chance against these players (and that's probably why so

      many monsters still have physical + some other attack type).

  Well, I would suggest changing the default values.  But if we want to make it
so that it is easier for server admins to change, no big objection on that.

  The correct place for any configuration stuff is really the settings file.  I
think having multiple configuration files is a bad idea - it just creates more
confusion.  If the current settings files gets so large it becomes unmanagagble,
I think at that time, we'd have to look at all the settings we allow, and clean
some of them up.

  I also think that if the item_power code is used/enforced (and the enchant
item does increase it), removing the cap probably isn't as much a problem - a
player might be able to make a -40 ac with 99 armor, but if they can't use it,
not that big a deal.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com