Re: [CF-Devel] Posted here because SF lists block me (Mlaï20maps release

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Aug 4 11:15:50 CDT 2004

       In this particular case (/mlab), it may be reasonable for it to be

      seperate, as it is a big enough entity to in a sense be its own city.

       But I want to be clear, that the rationale of 'I use /xyz because I

      want to' is not an acceptable policy overall - the just eventually leads

      to a bunch of such maps in the directory, and makes it difficult to

      maintain what is where.

       As said, since /mlab is probably OK in this case since it is a large

      entity, so long as what is there is all part of the same thing.  If for

      example there are maps that are located in other main cities, or are on

      the world continent, they should be placed in the appropriate directory

      and not in /mlab.

Currently the mlab maps in question are in /scorn/mlab if they are to be
moved out of the Scorn folder it should be either to their own city
folder or to the quest folder.  Now I would say that if the city in the
clouds is called 'mlab' then /mlab would be reasonable but /cloudcity or
some such would be better if mlab is merely a personal tag.  If they are
a quest then /quests/mlab would be reasonable - just as mlab was
reasonable (if not entirely desirable) if they were in Scorn. Using
meaningful area names whenever possibe is something that I am more and
more in support of the more maps I work on.  I am sure the DMs would agree.

Now I have been of the opinion that these maps should probably be moved
a little ways outside scorn city walls anyway because they take up a lot
of realestate in an already crowded city.  It also would make the
dialogue of the NPCs a little more relevant if this area was a suburb of
Scorn (the disenfranchised living outside the city walls) and not on
mainstreet.  An little inn and suburb with a few houses just a little
outside the city would be nice and would encourage some movement outside
the city walls which would also be nice. In this case moving the maps to
their own folder would be sensible as well.

Again I don't mind meeting halfway on these things but I really think
there were improvements made to the map layout with the bigworld maps
that make it easier to locate things (from inside the game as well as in
the editor) which we should try to stick with or even improve upon.  I
also think that with a bit of coordination the maps are better than if
each area is a little self contained system.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com