[CF-Devel] Scroll issues

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Aug 30 01:45:26 CDT 2004

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      I've been playing with inscription, and there are a few bugs with

      scrolls use ;)

      If you write a scroll of glyph/pentagram, you can't use it, when

      applying you get a 'write what spell?'

      Dimension door scrolls are useless too, it'll say 'in which direction?'

      and not move you.

      I'd guess it's related to player's orientation not being used when

      applying scrolls.

  It's not a perfect world :)

  The issue really comes down that the code allows you to inscribe any spell you
want, whether or not it makes sense.  Some spells, like glyph or dimension door,
would normally never appear on scrolls.

  In the days before the spell redo, it was the case that each spell had a flag
saying where it appeared (spellbooks, scrolls, wands, etc).  That is now handled
by treasurelists, so it much more difficult to parse (you'd basically have to
parse the treasurelists and see if it shows up, which is a little less trivial
when treasure lists can jump to other treasurelists).

  I believe I sent out mail when coding this, asking peoples opinions (as well
as the issue of special spells which only appear in quests), and seem to recall
the answer was let the players inscribe them, if they inscribe spells they can't
use, that is their problem.

  Certainly, dimension door could be fixed to look at the players current
facing.  But glyp/pentagram/magic rune/etc have no fix what so ever - you're
just hosed if you put that in a scroll.

      Nicolas 'Ryo'

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com