[CF-Devel] Monks wearing weapons

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Dec 21 16:21:36 CST 2004

'lo everyone.

I checked code related to bug #1082534 (

     https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1082534&group_id=13833&atid=113833

), about monks able to wear weapons.

The issue is pretty simple: when becoming monk, code sees the
classname is 'monk' and clears the 'use_weapons' flag.
Then, when praying over an altar, the code updates that flag with the
god's one - thus setting it (not Gaea's case !).

For dragons, isn't an issue as they don't have arms in the first place
and thus can't wear weapons. But other players can use weapons again.

I see 2 ways to fix that:
* use the 'body' [precisely arm counts] fields for the player to
remove weapon use - ie change the player's body according to class,
setting arms to 0 for monks.
* inserting a force in player's inventory to keep track of that fact,
or the class.

Both hae drawbacks - 1st may be weird, and cause issues if we ever
decide to let players change class.
2nd may be expanded to something else (rings, girdles, ...) but
requires a few more checks.

Note that you can't simply tweak the god change code, as when
switching from Gaea to another god you wouldn't know whether the 'no
weapon use' comes from the god or the class.

Ideas?

Ryo

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com