[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Feb 24 00:16:51 CST 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

      Mark wrote:

      Well, I thought it would let me be a dwarf with a dwarf icon, but

      without any special starting skills.  I was surprised not to have at

      least punching and the wand-use skill (or some way to acquire it).

  It's just the way the treasure lists are set up - those are basic class
skills, and are in the skill treasurelists, not the racial treasurelists.  That
of course could be change.

      And on a related note:

      With the old system, using lockpicking would get you 20xp/door or so.  I

      don't seem to get any experience now.  Is that intentional?

  It should work - I just tried it now, and got some exp.  Most likely, this was
caused by a bug that caused the skill not to get properly linked in, which I
just committed a fix for.

      I was practicing singing and oratory, and I now have 15xp in missile

      weapons (a skill I don't have).  I'm guessing an orc pet killed another

      orc with an arrow, and the xp was credited as if I had fired the arrow,

      not my pet.

  Most likely, correct.  As mentioned before, it is entirely possible to have
exp in skills you can't use.

  One change with the new skill code is that anything that gives exp records
which skill the exp goes to.  There used to be problems in the past, especially
in party play, where players could funnel exp to most any skill they wanted
(player A kilsl something with fireball, player b funnels it into praying).

  That should be next to impossible in the new code.  But it does mean that if
the orc pets kills something with missile weapons, you get the exp in missile
weapons.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com