[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Feb 24 02:29:35 CST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 01:46
Mark Wedel wrote:

      ERACC wrote:

      > On Tuesday 24 February 2004 00:16

      > Mark Wedel wrote:

      > As far as I am concerned this did not need to be "fixed". Now it

      > is broken. Placing exp in whatever skill *I* have selected when

      > working in party makes perfect sense to me. Placing it in

      > something I cannot use makes no sense whatsoever.

        Matter of opinion I suppose.

It is.

        It doesn't make any sense ot me that if I have bargaining readied

      and a party friend blasts something with a fireball that my

      bargaining skill should go up.

Then consider if I have ability to use a physical skill like karate,
clawing and/or punching (my char poof knows and can use all three)
then another player using a physical skill like two handed weapons
will increase one of the physical skills I *can* use. For dragons
make the default clawing *or* the readied physical skill if that will
make it easier. If a monk is using karate in party with a paladin
that knows one handed weapons and missile weapons then exp from
monk's karate should go to one of paladin's usable physical paths. If
the paladin is using prayers then the monk gains skill in praying and
the paladin gains skill in a default physical path, let us say one
handed weapons, from the monk's use of karate.

Your point about bargaining props up my argument in this regard. If
the other player uses a sorcery path spell then I *do* get exp in
sorcery. If player does NOT have a physical path ability then exp
only goes to overall and nothing else. There is no point in giving a
player exp in a path s/he can NOT use. If this is the only way to do
it and my suggestion is too hard to code or would cause too much CPU
load on the server then I'll drop it.

        And most previous messages I have seen on the subject suggested

      just that was in fact a bug, cheat, or other non desirable feature.

Ok, then please at least consider fine tuning it to better train what
a player can use. The current model is just strange. :-P

[...]

        There may not be a bunch of good reasons to join a party - that

      is of course a player determination.  But do note that even if you

      don't have the skill in question, your character still gains that

      for overall exp.  So while it may not help in any particular skill,

      it may help their overall level if they are generally not able to

      kill things.

I usually only join a party to help another player train in a skill
that s/he is finding troublesome (like summoning, too dang hard!) or
to try to train my skills with another player that can assist me. I
quit joining parties "just for fun" when my character kept dying due
to the errors of thoughtless party members. In regard to overall exp
I care more about spell paths and physical paths I can use than my
overall score. As far as I am concerned overall score is just a
number, that gives bragging rights of course, but the *real* meat and
potatoes of CF is in raising exp in the skill paths.

[...]

Gene (aka poof, aka eracc)
--
Linux era4.eracc.UUCP 2.4.22-26mdkenterprise i686
 01:57:07 up 24 days,  3:53, 11 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

     http://www.eracc.com/

eCS, OS/2, Mandrake GNU/Linux, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com