[CF-Devel] Future plans?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Feb 25 01:33:46 CST 2004

David Delbecq wrote:

      Although i like the idea to have one or several movement types

      (flying/crawling/swimming/walking/horsing) associated with a player (and so

      several base speeds). I'd like to had the following idea. Give a ground

      clearance and a sky clearance to all wall - like blockings (at least at

      outside of world, too many issue in the inside).

  Well, probably best to have the default values for wall to be completely
impassable (Effectively infinitely high and infinitely low).

  In this way, walls that you want to allow people to fly over have to be
specifically set.

  Setting the height of the wall makes a lot of sense.  This could also be
useful addition for the jump and climbing skill (eg, a 20' high wall can maybe
be climbed over, a 5' high wall jumped over, etc).

  In terms of clearance - it seems there are two potential things being talked
about - clearance, and for lack of better term, permiability.

  For clearance, the idea has some merit, but that certainly gets a little
trickier.  I'd need to see more concrete uses for it - presuming the all the
players are the same size, may not be as useful.

  Otherwise, it may require a lot fo rework - eg, if a space is marked as
'blocked', then monsters won't see through, and thus won't really take advantage
that they may in fact be able to get through it.

  For it to be in any way efficient, you need to be able to determine if a
creature can get through the space without looking on the objects on the space,
eg, you can store flags like 'small creature can get through, medium creature, etc'.

  Now the other point you seem to touch on is permiability - the holes in the
wall.  EG, a wall that has many small holes could let tiny creatures through,
and a wall with a small hold could let small creatures (kobolds maybe) get
through, but not humans.  Unless a person is plasticman, they can't get through
a hole smaller than they are.

  I'm personally much more concerned with movement types that player may use or
may cause to use (fire spells, arrows, etc) - this is because players move about
less often than other objects, and so we can 'afford' to extra cost of checking
the player movement.

  Also, in terms of players, line of sight is less a concern - if a player
doesn't know what is behind that wall, he is still free to scale it.  OTOH, if a
monster doesn't know what is beyond that wall, they won't even bother to try to
climb it/get through it/whatever.

  Granted, monster logic could get greatly improved - I just haven't seen a lot
of work in that area for quite a while.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com