Re: Re: [CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Feb 25 12:24:33 CST 2004

If watching people do stuff gave you skills then everyone would be an expert actor, hockey or(insert your sport here) player, musician and public speaker from watching TV and other perfomers.  A large part of skills is practice.

I say shared party xp should be general XP only.  This would save a lot of effort, is close enough to realistic to be fun instead of a pain, and is not nearly as prone to abuse.  Again if there is not enought incentive/goodies linked to general XP already it is always possible to make more...

      > doesn't necc. make a whole lot of sense that if a warrior and a mage are a

      > duo, and the mage casts a fireball, that somehow, the warrior has gained

      > experience in magic.  He was just standing there.

      If the warrior was paying attention, then he has just seen how an expert casts

      a fireball.  It can be very educational to watch an expert at work.  Now the

      warrior nows a little more about how to cast fireballs, and how to cast magic

      in general.  Sometime in the future, the warrior learns the fireball spell

      and remembers "I once saw a mage cast fireballs this way." he will find the

      casting of fireballs a little easier.

      If the warrior never learns magic, let alone the fireball spell, then he knows

      a little bit of trivia that may be usefull for winning bets at his local

      tavern B-).

      On the other hand, if the warrior was busy swinging his sword at something big

      and scary at the time, he would not have a chance to study an expert mage

      doing what mages do best.  Also, the mage would only share mystical secrets

      with his party members.

      The same thing applies when a mage studies a friendly warrior waving a sword

      around in an expert manner.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com